Welcome to the beta version of the new Women & Golf website. Our web monkeys are still hard at work and welcome your feedback.  


2016 Scarborough Gold Cup: Harrison carries on with big race win

Dean Harrison took the feature International Gold Cup Trophy race at Oliver’s Mount, Scarborough on Sunday for the second year in succession after he clinched a 4.3s victory over Ivan Lintin.

Riding the Silicone Engineering Kawasaki, Harrison grabbed the lead on the first of eight laps although he had Dan Hegarty (Radcliffe Racing BMW) right on his tail with Daley Mathison (MotoDex BMW), Dan Kneen (Mar-Train Yamaha) and Ivan Lintin (Devitt RC Express Racing Kawasaki) close behind. John McGuinness (Bet Victor Honda) had to start from the back of the grid and was down in 13th whilst Derek Sheils (Shirlaws Kawasaki) hopes disappeared when he retired on the warm-up lap.

By lap three, Harrison’s lead had shot up to three seconds as Hegarty slid off at one of the top hairpins allowing Lintin to move up to second from Mathison and Kneen as McGuinness moved up to eighth. Michael Dunlop, meanwhile, retired to the pits on the Buildbase BMW.


Lintin tried to claw back the deficit to Harrison in the second half of the race but the latter was controlling affairs from the front and duly crossed the line to win the prestigious Gold Cup for the second year in a row. Kneen moved ahead of Mathison on lap four to claim a strong third with McGuinness eventually taking a good fifth given his starting position.

In what turned out to be the race of the day, Harrison took another win in the Open race although he had to work hard for this one after being back in third on the opening lap. It was Sheils who led from Hegarty with Dunlop, McGuinness and Lintin completing the top six.

Only two seconds covered them at half race distance but by then Harrison had moved to the front and he edged away to eventually take the win by 3.6s. Sheils, having his first Oliver’s Mount outing for four years, took a good second from Hegarty as Dunlop, McGuinness and Lintin crossed the line close behind.

Harrison then took his third bike win of the day when he took victory ahead of a depleted field in the Senior race, the closing action of the weekend. Sheils bounced back to take second on this occasion.

There was drama at the start of the morning’s wet Supersport race when fancied runners Hegarty (Radcliffe Racing Honda) and Tom Weeden (Triumph) crashed at the Memorial on the opening lap and with a near three second lead at the end of the lap, Harrison already had the race under control. It was a lot closer for second with Lintin and Mathison locked in battle before the latter moved ahead on lap four.

Kneen was an early retirement but Harrison romped home to win by ten seconds from Mathison with Lintin in third although this was enough for him to clinch the David Jefferies Cup. Darren Cooper had a good ride into fourth with James Cowton and Mick Goodings completing the top six.

Lintin’s moment of glory came in the Supertwins race with a 2.7s victory over James Cowton with Adam McLean close behind in third. The Lincolnshire rider led all six laps, his lead after the first lap close to three seconds, and, easing off on the final lap, his second victory in two days saw him retain the Lee Pullan Trophy.

In the Formula Two Sidecar class, Tim Reeves and Patrick Farrance took two comfortable victories, the duo taking the lead from the off on both occasions. They never came under threat and took the first race by 3.6s from Steve and Matty Ramsden and the second by 3.2s from the same pairing.

There were also wins taken by Paul Owen (Phil Mellor Trophy & Classic FII), Jamie Williams, (Supersport B), Davy Morgan (Open B), Joe Thompson (Ultra-Lightweight & Phil Mellor Trophy) and David Bell (Classic FI).

Articles you may like


More TT and Road Racing

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram